Wildflower seedbombs - Die Stadtgartner
The perfect gift for your green-fingered friend! A seed bomb is a small ball of clay and soil, packed with seeds. Easily placed, or thrown, each seed bomb needs only water and sunlight in order to burst into life. Our "Wildflower" seed bomb contains a variety of 27 different seeds, including Pheasant's eye, Sweet alyssum and Garden cornflower. Each 4cm cardboard cube comes equipped with a single seed bomb to get you started.
The Wildflowers mix contains the following types of seeds:
- Agrostemma githago (corn cockle)
- Alyssum maritimum (sweet allysum)
- Anchusa capensis (anchusa)
- Anthemis tinctoria (dyers' chamomile)
- Calendula off. (marigold)
- Centaurea cyanus (cornflower)
- Chreianthus allionii (wallflower)
- Chrysanthemum segetum (feverfew)
- Collinsia bicolor (bull horn acarcia)
- Delphinium consolida (field larkspur)
- Echium Blue Bedder (Paterson's curse)
- Gilia capitata (Jacob's ladder)
- Gypsophila paniculata (baby's breath)
- Iberis amara (bitter candytuft)
- Linum rubrum (red flax)
- Linum usitatissimum (common flax)
- Lotus corniculatus (birdsfoot trefoil)
- Lupinus hartwegii (lupin)
- Malcolmia maritima (Meerstrandlevkoje)
- Matthiola bicornis (stock)
- Nemophila menziesii (baby blue eyes)
- Oenothera erythrosepala (evening primrose)
- Papaver rhoeas (common poppy)
- Phacelia (lacy phacelia)
- Salvia horminium (salvia)
- Silene coeli-rosa (rose silene)
Die Stadtgartner is a story of 3 brothers:
Growing up in the countryside, they got to know nature first-hand. They played in the dirt, climbed on trees, and watched as the wildlife grew around us. They learnt that a brownish-grey can burst into colour, giving a rich, diverse meadow, buzzing with bees, butterflies and other wonderful creatures - a chorus of life that repeats every year.
Then they moved away to study in the big cities. Living in a big city was great but they quickly realized that something wasn't quite right. The brown-grey of the cities did not burst into colour. It just stayed grey, and that made them sad. Something had to be done.
Derk was the first one to start rolling seed bombs in his kitchen, scattering them as he made his way to school. Not only was it great fun, it was working! Hamburg was still more urban jungle than lush forest, but small oases of flowers and herbs crept slowly through the concrete cracks; They were hooked!
It wasn't long before all their friends wanted to join in. They would take a bunch with them to barbeques, or give away bags for birthdays. Young and old, everyone wanted some of those 'funny little ball things'.
In the summer of 2011, they started selling them on Dawanda (the German version of etsy). One year later, they started their very own online shop www.diestadtgaertner.de. One year after that, they were invited to their first trade show to present their products to retailers. Today, five years later, they work full-time as city gardeners, to bring urban gardening solutions to cities everywhere.
Isn't that an amazing story?!
Let's make Luxembourg even more colorful than it already is supporting these 3 fellows with their brilliant idea. :-)